Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Grandfather's Journey, Honoring an old Warrior



The day came as any other would. Night faded as the slowly approaching dawn chased the sleepy stillness of the world away. The first snow of winter softly fell from the heavens to lay gently upon the earth. I stood in the darkness of my home and watched the transformation of my world. I knew my vision would never be the same after this day. My mind, heavy from the events that unfolded before me, returned me to years long past. To the days long ago when I stalked through wilderness with my grandfather. My grandfather was a man above most men, equal in my eyes only to my own father. He would often take my cousin and I into the wild to pass on his wisdom of the woods to young eager minds. I learned to walk and hunt in silence, watching a master and learning to track sign and animal behavior from a man who seemed so at home in this wooded world. As a patient teacher he watched and waited for my mistakes, eager to take the opportunity to teach me further. We walked for hours on the trails that crisscrossed the hillsides of south eastern Ohio. I always wondered what adventures would await us over the next crest of earth. There was always an adventure to be found in those days. I so loved those days and those adventures. I long for them now. My mind returns from past events to the here and now and my heart saddens. My grandfather, my friend, my teacher, my guide and my light now begins an adventure that I cannot yet follow him on. The events of the previous days unfold before me as I once again sink into memories. I remember reading the Bible to my grandfather and signing Christmas tunes to him by his hospital bed. He finished the verses before I finished reading them as he had dedicated so much of God's word to memory. I saw the joy on his face as he soaked up every second of his God's grace. I remember this man of God in his last prayer. Even in the pain he praised the Creator. Thanking God for his life, his children and his grandchildren. He asked forgiveness for those times he had failed, for he knew no man was perfect. He asked God to still use him. Though he knew his hours were few he prayed for strength to reach a lost soul by what life he had left. I remember when speech had left him. His sight reached into a world that I could not see. Often he would reach into the heavens to praise an unseen savior. Like a marathon runner at the end of his race he raised his arms in victory. His breathing toward the end became labored. His last words were uttered when my uncle asked what he saw. "Mom" grandfather whispered. Though death was near, he lingered on for a time. He seemed to be enjoying the walk of the veil from life to death. It must have been a beautiful journey for his eyes showed us wonders beyond our imaginations. Somewhere inside I knew this would be his last day. I saw it fitting that God blessed this day with the first snow of the season. It somehow seemed hallowed. The day passed slowly. Snow gently fell most of the day. The sun hid it's warmth. An unusual chill seemed to reach into the deepness of my bones. Toward evening when all had said their farewells, my grandfather the mighty warrior passed through the veil of death and entered eternity. My tears joined the snow flakes as I mourned the passing of this great man. I was deeply honored to be have been a part of this journey.

Grandfather my heart aches for you. I pray you well on your journey. May you learn those paths of heavens hills. May we someday be reunited to walk those paths and seek new adventures. Your teachings and love will never be forgotten. You have been a light to me in dark hours. "I'm praying for you Jay!" you once said to me. Those words ring through my mind as I remember the time I once fought for life on this world. You reached out with your love and prayers as the medics who thought me to be dying took me to the helicopter. I knew your prayers had power as I could feel them fall around me. I know somewhere on the other side of eternity you are still praying. I can only say now as I said then "Keep praying Papa! Keep praying!" I will always love you!

No comments: