Tuesday, May 18, 2010

News and Updates

Hey everyone out there hope your journey is treating you well. Life is kickin at an enormously fast pace at the moment and yes I still suck horribly at keeping this blog up to date. In the upcoming months I will be redesigning the website and as many of you have stated my gallery will get a resurrection through this process. I am currently working on several portfolio pieces inspired from the game many of you know me from ...World of Warcraft. My next piece in this series involves a Worgen so stay tuned for the concept and sketch stages very soon. I am also loving creating with my maker during Altar Art performances. If you have never seen one of my live performances I invite you to come check it out and see what it's all about. For more info on my Altar Art performance series you can follow events scheduled for summer and fall here -> http://www.facebook.com/pages/L-Jason-Queen/24118716051?ref=ts

SO you may have noticed a new style developing in my artwork. What can I say I have been inspired by my many talented friends. One such friend introduced me to a old world way of creating digital artwork. I was pretty pleased with the end result of my first experiment into this new process. "LifePiper World of Warcraft Druid" began as an everyday common sketch up. I cannot stress again to those students that follow my work that reference material makes the difference. Always be aware and keep a large library of reference material so that you can easily go back and forth between real world and imagination.


WoW Druid, Lifepiper Sketch by ~RogueWolfStudios on deviantART

After the initial sketch stage a traditional watercolor foundation is created. I keep the image in greys and introduce a large variation of lights and dark. Lighting and shadows play such a huge role in making artwork pop and I could go into some major in depth lessons learned from this painting about this very subject but alas I have a life to get back to. Patience is another key factor. Enjoy the process though it may seem tedious. Take your time give yourself to the journey of the artwork for it is in the journey we are most happy. If you get frustrated or burn out take time away. Often you will discover your recess from your work reveals some major insight into how to better the artwork.


WoW Druid, LifePiper Watercolo by ~RogueWolfStudios on deviantART

Now that you patiently have created a base watercolor in traditional brush style the true fun begins. The art of taking traditional media and adding digital color and effects. I have a background in graphic arts but my masters is in traditional painting so the challenge of combing the two has always interested me. I take the watercolor which was 20"x30" and do a photo shoot with my canon. I make sure to take pics of the artwork in sections. This allows me to keep the photoshop file very large. I use photomerge to bring my sectioned pieces together and begin the process. I believe I ended up with between 70-80 layers for the final piece of my druid. The end result is pretty much along the idea I originally had for this piece. I do look forward to my next attempt at this new process with the Worgen.


WoW Druid - LifePiper by ~RogueWolfStudios on deviantART

I hope you enjoy and I hope to see you again or write soon! Peace and prayers ~ Jason

No comments: